Structures North completed a renovation of the main entrance to create a new entry lobby and main stairs with an elevator to make the facility handicap accessible. The area was at the intersection of the original 1892 Sanctuary building and a 1960 Educational wing addition, with a new, two-story window-wall facing the adjoining central courtyard. The renovation had many challenges including floors of the two wings it connected being at different elevations and constructed of different materials, and re-supporting an existing Sanctuary roof truss on the elevator framing. Church and school services were maintained during construction. Portions of the existing Sanctuary’s stone walls had to be pinned and reinforced with Voidspan anchors due to the widening of doorway openings in the wall.
Mills Whitaker Architects
The Massachusetts Architectural Access Board and the Boston Society of Architects/AIA 2016 Accessible Design Awards Ceremony – William D. Smith Memorial Award